Thursday 5 May 2016

Introduction to Snow White

For my section of the investigation I am looking into the tale of Snow White and some of the remakes/retellings of the tale. Specifically I will be analysing the original Grimm Brother's fairytale Snow White (first published in 1812); Walt Disney's animated film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937); Tarsem Singh's comedy fantasy film Mirror Mirror (2012); and Rupert Sanders' action-adventure film Snow White and the Huntsman (2012). I chose these specific texts because I think they best represent how the historical/cultural context of when the films were made can influence the content.
In particular I am going to be investigating the representations of gender, sexuality, and race/ethnicity in each of the films in relation to the context of the films. For gender/sexuality I am focusing on the roles of the genders, the appearance of the genders, the treatment of women, the concept of masculinity, and how explicit sexuality is portrayed. Then, for race/ethnicity I am focusing on the treatment of minorities, the roles of minorities, and the lack of minority groups.

Below are collages I put together using images from the book/films to provide a general idea of the styles of each text:
Brothers Grimm Snow White

Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Mirror Mirror

Snow White and the Huntsman

No comments:

Post a Comment